Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Three.

      The Baseball Writers Association of America got around to doing their job this year and elected three (very worthy) men to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Greg Maddux.
 photo gm1_zpsaa1124ab.jpg
Greg got 97.2% of the vote.  What I would really like to know is, who are the 16 idiots who looked at his career numbers and said "meh" so we can publicly shame them.  
 photo gm2_zpsece37d81.jpg
Maddux is one of the five best pitchers in the history of the game and this was a no-brainer, even for a group that is renown for their lack of brains.

Tom Glavine.
 photo tg9_zpsef7a31af.jpg
Glavine was a great Atlanta Braves pitcher and won 300 games.  He also pitched for another team in his career and I refuse to actually acknowledge he did so, for obvious reasons.  Still, bully for Tom.  He got an impressive 91.9% of the vote and he definitely belongs.

Frank Thomas.
 photo ft1_zpsef7e8ac2.jpg
On the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Tom Glavine in my world is The Big Hurt. 
 photo ft2_zps4d2e8475.jpg
Frank Thomas is one of the most complete and dangerous hitters of all time.  He is also one of my all time favorite players.  I scanned these two pages, one from early in his career and one from later, but I could have chosen from an entire binder.  I also have a whole shoebox full of inserts and game used cards as well.  I was a Frank Thomas completest for a long time.  I am glad the writers used their brain and elected him.  Well, 83.7% of them did, the rest of them should probably have their membership in the BBWAA revoked.  But I digress.  I was trying to keep this post positive and congratulatory.  But rest assured, there are rants coming.  Oh my, are there rants coming.  I have two or three of them brewing and one complete dissertation.  But those will come in the next few days.  In fact, after I spend the next few days howling like a lunatic, maybe I will post my Frank Thomas player collection as a palate cleanser and reward for letting me vent.  For now though, I am quite happy that three very deserving men actually got elected into the Hall.

No comments: