Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Thick.

Help!

I am reaching out to the Card Blogosphere for some advice and perspective.  As most of you who read this blog with any regularity know, one of the areas where I am stubbornly completist is Topps All Star Rookies.  As luck would have it, this year's flagship set has a few inserts sets devoted to this corner of the Topps Universe.  One of them is a Relic collection with manufactured rookie cups embedded in them numbered to /99.  I got a look at these cards and decided they are quite handsome and while it is cost prohibitive for me to complete an entire set of these, I made the decision to at least make a nine pocket page of them.  This weekend, I got bored and went on a little eBay spending spree and bought a good six of them at, on average, about $15 a pop.  The first of those cards arrived today and, well, there is a problem.  They are thick.  Really thick.  I am talking Kim Kardashian twerking at an ice cream social thick. Here, take a look:
The left is obviously NOMAH! but the card on the right providing thickness perspective is Rod Carew.  Yeah, like I said, thick.

























There is no way they will fit in a standard nine pocket page.  I tried and tried and no dice.  I even tried a few different kinds of nine pocket pages with absolutely no luck.  I did have a little brain storm; since the issue is size, I tried to slide the cards into a standard 8-card page and while it is certainly not ideal, as you can see, they did fit.
 photo b2_zpsecd31d97.jpg




































Here is what I would like some input on...what should I do here? 

a) go with the eight pocket page set up.

b) hold out hope that there is a nine pocket page out there that will fit these.  In fact, if any of you own or know of anything like this that will fit these gargantuanly thick beasts, I will gladly compensate you with cards, cash, or love to obtain one.

c) suck it up and just collect the whole set and give in to my completist instincts.

d) give it up and sell off the ones I bought - keeping the Gary Carter, of course.

e) something else I haven't thought of, but one of you brilliant homo sapiens has.

So there it all is.  Any and all opinions are greatly appreciated.  I mean, this isn't binding arbitration or anything, but my brain is broken from the initial disappointment and I would like to hear what you have to say.  Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

Napkin Doon said...

I'd stick with the 8 pocket page. Since the cards are landscape design the 8 pocket is better suited to viewing them anyway ! Great looking cards!

night owl said...

I'm a binder guy, but I have a smattering of super-thick cards and would never put them in a binder page. Even if they fit, they look awful in there.

I just have them in their own individual cases. I'm not that kind of collector, but it's better than the alternative -- or at least the alternatives that this less brilliant homosapien knows.

jacobmrley said...

Funny thing is, these don't even fit in the superthick toploaders, at least none of the ones I have. Of the two I got, one was shipped in a 10 card hinge box and the other was sandwiched in two regular toploaders in a team bag. These cards are so awesome but so troublesome.

Fuji said...

Wow... these cards look really cool. Never seen or heard of them until now.

If I really like a set and it's actually achievable... I go after it. I really like displaying my cards in binders, but I'd worry that these cards would slip out of those eight pocket pages. If it were me, I'd put them into those Ultra Pro 10ct. boxes.

jacobmrley said...

Oh, they won't slip out of those 8 pocket pages, it is a tight squeeze as it is.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Even though I'm not a binder guy, I agree with Napkin Doon.